Foil packet white fish with oven-roasted tomatoes is a quick and easy lunch you can make on a weeknight. This recipe is the perfect complement to any summertime barbecue and makes for a simple meal that will leave everyone wanting seconds.
The main ingredient for this dish is white fish, which can be substituted with tins of tuna or salmon if desired. It’s coated in an herb paste before being placed onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
How To Make Foil Packet White Fish with Oven-Roasted Tomatoes
This recipe calls for oven-roasted tomatoes. Oven drying is a great way to use up excess tomatoes from your garden or the farmers’ market. In addition, the process of drying them concentrates their flavor by removing excess moisture. The result is a really sweet, delicious burst of flavor in each bite.
Oven-Roasted Tomato Directions: (Use however many excess tomatoes you have available).
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 200°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat™ and set aside.
Slice tomatoes into 2” thick slices and place on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the slices and sprinkle with salt and black pepper, to taste. Top with fresh thyme leaves, if desired, and place in the pre-heated oven for approximately 2 hours or until the tomatoes are nicely browned around the edges.
- Remove from oven and use immediately or store in an airtight container covered with olive oil. Store unused tomatoes in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
NOTE: You can use fresh or preserved lemons to make this recipe. Preserved lemons are recommended because they add a lot more flavor. You can either buy a container of preserved lemons or make your own. A word of caution, however, if you use preserved lemons, don’t add additional salt to the fillets without tasting.
Foil Packet White Fish with Oven-Roasted Tomatoes Recipe
- 4 6-oz. white fish fillets
- 4 oven-dried tomato slices
- 4 fresh lemon slices
- 4 tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare indoors, place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 400°F. Tear off 4 sheets of aluminum foil into sections large enough to fold over fillets, with another couple of inches on each side to seal.
- Place one fillet slightly off center on each sheet of foil. Top each fillet with an oven-dried tomato slice, two fresh or preserved halved lemon slices, as shown, one-half tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, and one tablespoon unsalted butter. If desired, lightly season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- To seal packet, fold aluminum foil in half over the fillets. Fold the 3open sides, one at a time, over several times to seal the packet completely. The goal is to seal the packet tight enough to hold in the steam, but still allow enough room for the air to expand.
- Place the foil packets in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, or place on hot grill over medium, direct heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven (or grill) and cool slightly before carefully opening the foil packets. (Use caution, escaping steam will be very hot). Discard the lemon slices and serve immediately with your choice of sides. Enjoy!
|Inspired Fork is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.|