You’ve heard of waffle ice cream, but have you ever heard of waffle-ice-cream-sandwiches? Yup. It’s a thing. And it also happens to be one of the most delicious things in the world.
Forget the waffle cone. Waffle ice cream sandwiches are the best available option for someone looking to get in on the ice cream trend without sacrificing a perfectly good hot day.
Chocolate syrup is one of those things that should be in your kitchen with you at all times. It’s a sweet, indulgent topping for waffles, hot chocolate, pancakes and so much more. The syrup is also surprisingly easy to make if you have the right recipe on hand for when it’s needed! It only takes about 2-3 minutes of active prep time in a saucepan.
For an extra special treat, use chocolate chips or sprinkles as a topping.
Let’s take a closer look at this never before seen dessert item and see what makes it so special…
How To Make Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
There’s something so indulgent about a good waffle ice cream sandwich that it’s impossible to resist this classic dessert. For anyone who loves sweet, crispy waffles and rich, creamy ice cream — or even for those who just love ice cream in its various sundae forms — the humble waffle deserves recognition as a worthy vessel for this delicious treat.
Easy Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
- 4square waffles, cut into 8 rectangles (or 8 Eggo® Wafflers)
- Vanilla ice cream
Homemade Chocolate Syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºFand arrange the waffles on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Remove ice cream from freezer to soften slightly.
- Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping the waffles halfway through. Once waffles are golden brown, remove baking sheet from oven and set aside to cool for several minutes.
- Prepare the chocolate syrup by combining the water, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt in a small skillet set over medium heat. Whisk vigorously until the sugar is dissolved and the cocoa powder is thoroughly incorporated into the mixture, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Add a scoop of ice cream to four of the waffles and spread into an even layer. Top each with one of the remaining toasted waffles to create a “sandwich.”
- Place the ice cream sandwiches back on the baking tray and place in the freeze for 30 minutes to firm up. Remove baking sheet from freezer and top with the chocolate sauce, plus sprinkles and/or chopped nuts, if desired, before serving. Enjoy!
|Inspired Fork is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.|